The construction sector suffers from a shortage of qualified labour and a lack of interest from young people. At the same time, construction workers are asked to continuously demonstrate new abilities related to digitalisation, circular economy, energy efficiency and improved occupational health and safety regulations. While these skills are starting to be addressed by public policies, further work is needed to address current and upcoming challenges of the construction sector.
EBC advocates for work-based learning (WBL), the integration of entrepreneurship in Vocational Education and Training (VET) curricula, the better involvement of SME associations and employers’ representatives in the definition of skills and apprenticeship and reinforced efforts to attract young people and women to the sector.
EBC is a member of European Alliance for Apprenticeship (EAfA) to strengthen the supply, quality and image of apprenticeships in the construction sector. Additionally, EBC participates to EU-funded projects under the Erasmus+ program with the ambition to shape the future of skills and VET in the construction sector.
- REBUILD Congress: Challenges and solutions for a sustainable built environment - - Read more
- Construction 2050 Alliance Press Release: The construction ecosystem as an opportunity for new talent? YES! - - Read more
- Skills: Strategic Construction Blueprint survey on skills needs of construction companies - - Read more
- Construction 2050 Alliance - Event 'Opportunities for new talent', July 1 - - Read more
- Skills: CONDAP Memorandum of Cooperation on upskilling construction trainers & mentors - - Read more
- Pact for skills: EBC Vice President meets with Commissioners Breton and Schmitt - - Read more
- CONDAP Project: Info day & Pilot-testing of the Online Course for construction mentors - - Read more
- Skills for construction mentors: CONDAP online event on 10 November - - Read more
- Digital skills: the CONDAP online course for construction mentors is ready - - Read more
- CONDAP project: Online training and assessment material for construction mentors - - Read more