Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a digital process with a disruptive impact on the construction industry bringing both, opportunities and challenges.
On the one hand, BIM allows any aspect of a design’s performance to be simulated and assessed before it is built for optimal results, requiring and allowing the sharing of information between all the professionals involved in the process. Thus, BIM is widely recognised as a solution to the management of information during the design, construction and operational phases of the asset lifecycle of a building.
On the other hand, the entire construction chain needs to be able to engage with BIM to make it largely spread. BIM tools only make sense to construction SMEs and craftsmen if they are financially accessible and valuable to their daily business operations. Given that 94.1% of the sector is made up by microenterprises, it is essential that an enabling framework with open standards and easily usable tools for construction SMEs is established. In addition to this, training and sharing of best practices are essential to enable the whole construction value chain to use BIM in their future daily routine.
On behalf of Small Business Standards, EBC follows and contributes to the activities of CEN Technical Committee 442 on BIM since 2015.
- Digital construction: Meet BIM4Ren, easy-to-use BIM tools for renovation - - Read more
- BIM4Ren project: first webinar "Meet BIM4Ren: Easy-to-use BIM tools for renovation" on 26 May - - Read more
- CONDAP project: Online training and assessment material for construction mentors - - Read more
- Standardisation: EBC participates in CEN-CENELEC video on Standards in Construction - - Read more
- DigiPLACE Survey: assessing the digital maturity of construction SMEs and craftsmen - - Read more
- The very first BIM4Ren newsletter is out! - - Read more
- Celebrating the first anniversary of the Horizon 2020 BIM4Ren project! - - Read more
- Introducing the DigiPLACE project, a digital platform for construction in Europe - - Read more
- H2020 project BIM4Ren: focus on workflows, stakeholders’ requirements, KPI and pilot sites in 2nd project meeting - - Read more
- BIM4Ren project – How do you use BIM in renovation processes? - - Read more